Thursday, March 10, 2016

Rich Towards God


Luke 12:21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.” (NIV)

Recently the jackpot for a nationwide lottery hit the billion-dollar mark. Around water coolers and dinner tables the question, “What would you do with all that money,” came up frequently.  Mmm, just imagine striking it rich. While there is nothing wrong with being wealthy, the Word admonishes us to be “rich toward God.” When I read this verse I wondered what my “God-wealth” status would be: Rich? Middle class? Poor?
My family has never been well to do. As a kid, I thought we were rich.  Both of my parents worked. We had plenty of food to eat. It never occurred to me that we would run out of anything because we always seemed to have what we needed and a little extra.  In reality we were hoarders. Just kidding. My organized and disciplined father did amazing things with money. He took care of everything meticulously and with proper planning.  From those childhood experiences, I define rich as lacking nothing, having more than enough, never running out, abundant, comfort, and security, even though we were not actually rich.

 
Be rich towards God. That’s how I want to experience God daily and for the rest of my life.  I want more of Him. I desire to live in the comfort of knowing God is my Father and Provider. I yearn for more of His Word so that it overflows from my heart and pours out of me. Let God fill you with His presence and His Word. The things of this world look shiny and pretty, but they can be unsatisfying, temporary, and fleeting.  The riches of God fulfill every need and never expire. Let’s make room for Him, and strike it rich!

No comments:

Post a Comment