Friday, March 4, 2016

Failure is Not an Option!


Failure is not an option! or is it?
2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Have you ever just had one of those days?
You wake up with great expectations…
By bedtime, the last word on your mind is “failure.”

Yesterday, it was my turn to have one of those days.  I had so much hope for what the day would bring, but ultimately, a lot went wrong.
Thankfully, God gave me another day.  Driving into work this morning I realized that still being in a funk was silly. I began to think about all that I am grateful for and the blessings I have that I do not deserve. Usually, reflecting on what I am thankful for is enough to get me to snap out of it. God’s grace truly is amazing!

During the morning commute, it dawned on me that the reason I struggle when things do not go right is because of a deep seeded notion that failure is not an option.  As a type A, tightly wound, overachieving, alpha female I thought failure is never an option.  Something in my nature and nurture taught me that. Can I get a witness? 

Here’s the conundrum: Failure is not only an option, it’s the whole point!  If we can achieve all we need to achieve in our own power, what’s the point of Jesus? What’s the use of His power? Our human frailty and imperfection has to be more than an option.  We must acknowledge this condition…and keep moving forward.  God’s power is made perfect in our weaknesses. His grace is sufficient. Grace is sufficient, i.e. more than enough, because it bridges that gaps between our shortcomings and successes.  Demonstrated in us is the truth that God is able to do exceedingly, abundantly, above all that we could ask think or imagine according to the power that works in us. (Ephesians 3:20) That is, His power at work in us, if we let Him work it in us. So, if you are feeling like a failure, don’t get stuck there because it is a starting point towards something great.

5 comments:

  1. Amen Jenni! As we know, a setback is nothing more than a set-up for a comeback, through Him who strengthens us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your blog today. I definitely been there before. What a blessing to read! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete