Thursday, February 18, 2016

Letting Go of Offense

1 Timothy 1:13-14 “although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.”

If you are familiar with “church life,” you have probably attended a service that was followed by a repast or food served in the fellowship hall.  Several years ago, after one such service, I made my way to the church basement and grabbed a piece of cake and some red punch that had been spiked with 7-Up.  One of my girlfriends and her husband walked up while I chowed down, and she asked, “How’s the cake?”  With no thought, except here’s a chance for me to be funny, I replied in the most dramatic, parched and arid sounding voice, “It’s drrrryyyyyy!” My friend said, “I made it.”  “D’oh,” I screamed mentally.  Then I profusely apologized as her husband laughed.  I wish I could say that I rarely feasted on my own feet. I wish I could say that I hardly ever offend people with my words. I wish I could say that…I wish.  *sigh*
I am offensive sometimes. I say things that are hurtful, and I regret it.  I do things that are selfish and stupid.  Sometimes it is inadvertent; other times it isn’t. I hate how my words and actions offend God, and I hate hurting others, too.  However, when I have offended God, I know He offers me forgiveness. He is merciful and gracious.  But, when I offend people, the offense leaves an indelible mark. That person may never forgive me.  While we all are seekers of mercy and grace, we rarely dispense it.  Forgiveness is a seldom seen virtue. We treat it like a moral unicorn or Sasquatch. We are shocked to hear when forgiveness is given, and we doubt that it truly happened. Because I have been shown amazing grace, mercy, and forgiveness after the many times I have offended God and others, I try my best to extend the same to others who hurt me. It is not easy, but man-o-day, it is freeing!  I cast off shackles that connect me to what happened in the past. It can no longer hurt me. 

 
Mercy, grace, and forgiveness become easier to bestow on others when we remember that God lavishly and abundantly pours them onto us. He does so because of our ignorance.  Many of the offenses we experience usually come from a place of ignorance and unbelief.  Folks are focusing on their own pain.  People do not believe their actions are hurtful. In some instances, people think they are being helpful.  I am not offering ignorance and unbelief as an excuse for bad behavior, but we all can do some jacked up stuff. I am offering them as an explanation for why we do the things we do.  The baggage of offense grows heavier over time, but relief comes through giving and receiving mercy, grace, and forgiveness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment